Earlier May, Grant said, “Why not fly to New York?” I decided to look at airfare on a whim. Wow, prices were low. So I mentioned it to Daniel and we started planning.
We don’t have award points with hotels but we do have sky miles. We used sky miles. I looked at hotels in Manhattan. The rooms were very expensive and more than we could afford and small – probably too small to put a portable crib in the room with two double beds. I looked elsewhere. We ended up at the Hilton in Newark – 126 per night. I could afford that.
The room was right at Penn Station Newark, New Jersey. But we never set foot in New Jersey. We went by crosswalk to the station. The room was a typical cheaper Hilton room. We arrived early week so school was still in for a lot of the country and the hotel was used for business purposes only. I felt perfectly safe. We did meet up with a homeless person at the station but that person never said a word to us. The room was just a room.. It wasn’t a place we wanted to hang out but the beds were super comfortable. We were a little disappointed that we didn’t have Wifi.
Everyday, I packed our backpack and we set off in to NY City. We took either the NJ transit – which took us straight to Penn Station NY or we took the PATH which took us to the World Trade Center. The PATH was very cheap. The NJ Transit was not. Both were easy to maneuver. We did find the stations a little bit difficult. Signage would point in one direction and you would walk blocks and find out you were supposed to turn at a corner. Where was that dang sign???
People – I have always heard that the people of NY were a little bit abrasive. I saw nothing of that. These people (and/or the tourists) were extremely nice. I found them to be much nicer than people here in the south. Many seats were given up for me or the boys. Doors were held open. The people would always start talking to you. Just plain nice!
Kid-friendly?? I found Manhattan restaurants to not be kid friendly. Both of my boys were given nice glasses for drinks.. white table cloths… etc.. But……… the restaurants wanted my business and seemed to do whatever it takes to get me to eat at their establishment. The service was impeccable. Other than Central Park, we didn’t find that many playgrounds – there were exceptions. You could tell where the people with kids and dogs lived. There were places that accommodated them.
We had a great time and wished we could have spent more time there. We didn’t get to visit any museums and missed out on some of the old cathedrals.
I would have not gone to the Bronx Zoo if I had it to do all over again. While there were some extremely nice exhibits, I found Atlanta Zoo to be a lot nicer especially in the Primate section. We did enjoy the seals,camels, and bears which we do not have in Atlanta. So far, the best Zoo I have been too is the New Orleans Zoo.
Just arrived to Hotel – Miles taking a much needed nap
On the way to On top of the Rock.
The Empire State Building view from On Top of the Rock
Ok, here is the deal. I have had sketchy internet service for the past month and I am all over with posting about New York. I had so many little stories…. but now, you will just have to get the picture tour and know that we went to those places! Oh, and I probably have cuter photos but I don’t want to spend any more time looking at them!
1 comment:
Well honey, this does it justice! I enjoyed it! Thank you!
Post a Comment