In my dreams, I can jump really high. I mean real high. I can jump to the top of trees and sort of glide in the air. Crouching Tiger has nothing on me. I kind of thought that I might be able to do it real life. I was wrong.
Dave (the trainer at my gym) makes us do tons of squats. Then, he makes us hold a squat and from the hold, “jump as high as you can.” I am pathetic. I think I get about two inches off the ground. I was really shocked to discover that I don’t have superhero powers. Even with not squatting, I can’t hardly get my feet off the ground.
That’s ok. I do have other superhero powers.
Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running! Forrest Gump
Well, not really! But I am better at running than I am at jumping.
Last year, I ran till I was tired. That is how I ran. I had no idea how many miles I ran or what kind of pace I kept.
This year, I decided to go for the gold. Well maybe not the gold, but I did want to finish. So I started a movement. Did I? Maybe I did. Somehow I talked two ladies in to joining me. I wanted to run 6 miles without stopping. That was my goal. Oh, and I would like to do it under an hour.
We started training. My life started revolving around our training. Work became a little easier since I knew I would get a break at lunch. My husband let me borrow his Ipod. Two days a week, I worked later to make up time. I started having knee problems too. I signed up for physical therapy. I learned that shoes needed to be retired earlier than I thought. Everyday, I could not wait to go see these wonderful women who encouraged me.
They said that I inspired them. Me? I inspired them? I could not believe it.
Well, we did it! Heather R, Cheryl, and I! We even had Jill come along. She was the pro. She was the half marathon girl.
They have all taught me so much. Run the River and we did. We ran a 10k without stopping and I beat an hour. Looking in the picture, I am on the left. Heather is beside me. Cheryl is beside her and then, Jill. Jill is Miles’ Godmother. Did you know that?
It hasn’t stopped. We are still training. We all have different objectives but we still run together. I want to run a half marathon. Just once. A bucket list thing to do. Then, I think I will be content with 10Ks. I like to run fast so a half marathon will be difficult for me. Cheryl is working at speed. Heather R… well, I don’t what her goal is.. but she is having a blast. We need each other. We support each other. We cheer for each other.
You are welcome to join us! I plan to run the Silver Comet Half Marathon in October. What are your goals?
Here we are at the Komen 5k! Shelly joined us for this one. Shelly ran a half marathon in San Fran two years ago. We loved that she could join us!
And talking about the Komen 5K. Cheryl (in pink hat) is a survivor of breast cancer. I have known her for a long time now. She is the most determined person I have met. After going through surgery and drugs, she was back at the gym. And she once told me I inspired her… REALLY! She has no idea what an inspiration she is. I love her spirit. I love her ability to get back in the saddle! Beautiful!
We ran this one for her!
We ran this one for her!There you have it. I have been running and I love it. I am a happier person for it. I am sleeping again at night. Awesome, right?
Heather, the other Heather, wrote about it here... Just Sports.
No comments:
Post a Comment