This past year, I watched Miles get bigger and grow in to his little personality. Over and over again, he has reminded me of my Uncle Randy. Uncle Randy had a speech impediment. Miles has speech problems - not sure of the extent yet.. Also, while Grant and I were having pretty grown up conversations by Miles' age, Miles is more interested in talking to inanimate objects. "Hi bu (bus)".... "Hi fituck (firetruck)" "bye bye bed Mile going dtair (downstairs)" It just makes me giggle... I remember my Uncle taking my sister and me places and he would say "hey Mr. Telephone Pole" "hey Mr. Traffic Light." I am sure he did this to get us to laugh.. I also know that Miles gets very frustrated when people do not understand him. Oh, boy.. my uncle did too. Uncle Randy had things to say and not everyone understood him especially if you did not spend a lot of time with him.
Last late summer/fall, I went to North Caroline to visit family. Everyone made us feel welcome but no one as much as my Uncle Randy. He always made sure to come and see us when we were up there. Last year was no different. He came over to my father's house. It took him some time to make his way in to the dining room. He was on oxygen. This was the worst I have ever seen him. He sat down at the dining room table. The rest of us was in the living room. My kids were loud and playing. Uncle Randy just watched them.
Grant went outside to do something. Miles followed him to the door. He pointed and grunted outside.
I said "no baby, you have to stay in." Miles started crying his huge crocodile tears. Mommy, I am big enough, it is not fair!
He looked around at everyone. Then, he spotted Uncle Randy watching him with sympathetic eyes. Miles walked over to Uncle Randy (someone he didn't know) and reached up to Randy. No one understands me and I am big enough to go outside with my brother.
Randy picked him up. Miles settled his sweet little head on Randy's broad shoulder and cried. Randy said, "there there.. they don't understand, do they? I know baby.. I know." Of course, Randy understood. He was the little brother in the shadow of his siblings. He got Miles. Miles at the time, would not go to anyone, including people he knew. What made him go to Uncle Randy? I would have thought Uncle Randy would have scared him. Uncle Randy was on oxygen, he was bigger than Miles' dad, and he had a beard. I wondered what made Miles seek him out. Miles stayed with Uncle Randy crying and Randy patted his back for 5 minutes give or take. I sat there in wonderment. I thought to myself, I should go get my camera and get this picture. I even said it. The camera was on the bar. I should have done it. But I didn't get that beautiful picture of my uncle consoling my baby. It was just selfish of me. See... I have this image imprinted in my mind. My family that was there have that image too. It was just that I didn't get the image to share with the rest of you. It was more than beautiful. And if you know my Uncle Randy and my sweet little Miles...I have let you down.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away." Hilary Cooper
That weekend was the last time I saw my Uncle Randy. We saw him again at Grandmommy's house when we were pulling up the last of his beans he planted.
He called me to make sure I made it home that Sunday. He almost always did. He called whenever there were bad storms in our city. He checked in with us to make sure we were ok.
He use to make my husband and my oldest son cookies every time we visited. Daniel would tell him they were the best. Grandmommy once spilled his secret. "He just buys the already-made dough." My family didn't care. They were the best we have ever had!
It has almost been 6 months since he passed away. I miss him. But I have wonderful memories of him. Everyone did. Almost the whole town showed up to his funeral. Most of them knew Uncle Randy from meeting him in the grocery store - one of his hangouts. He was loved by all. Can we all say that? 6 months later, Miles reminds me of so many other people. He still reminds me of Uncle Randy. Miles has twinkle in his eyes and a love for life and people! - like Uncle Randy
5 comments:
Wow Heather. Very nice tribute to your Uncle. I feel like I know him talking to you so much about him. Don't beat yourself up about the picture. You painted it for everyone beautifully, so I have seen it, and it was perfect.
Yes it was! I will try and write my memory of him teaching and playing cards with Reese this week! Awesome story! Thanks for the happy tears and memories of my wonderful Uncle Randy!
Yes it was! I will try and write my memory of him teaching and playing cards with Reese this week! Awesome story! Thanks for the happy tears and memories of my wonderful Uncle Randy!
Well you made me cry so much. when i met your dad i was sixteen and randy was 15. HE WAS THE SWEETEST KID I EVER KNEW. And believe it or not everyone in Dallas knew and loved Randy. one big memory was of his Graduation he was so proud and i was proud to call him my brother in-law he worked so hard all the time. thank god there's no tears in heaven
Post a Comment