A couple weeks ago, I once again was reminded how awesome my neighbors are. They care..really care about people.
The following email hit my home address about three times in an hour. The next day, another email was sent, "please don't send any more money, we have all we need to fix Rot Rot." Aww, the love. Most people are somehow mad at homeless people. "They should get a job. They are good for nothing. They are just lazy." Somehow, in all my years, I haven't felt this way. Who in their right mind would ever want to live this way? It is just an awful life. Thank goodness this guy had this sweet little dog who was his constant companion. We all need that, right?
If you frequent the the Grant Park area, you may have seen a homeless man with a dog who collects money next to I-20. Yesterday, his dog was hit by a car and the driver drove off (they were on the sidewalk, and the dog was on a leash). He was devastated, and he is such a kind man, and I think he is a veteran, too. My girlfriend and I and several other people stopped and helped get the dog to a nearby vet, and he has a broken pelvis and colon injuries. The sweet dog’s name is Rot Rot (“because he’s spoiled rotten,” said Johnny, his owner), and he is all Johnny has. I begged the vet to work out a payment plan and/or let me volunteer there in exchange for reduced cost care for Rot Rot. He seems open to it, but practically, they also need payment. I set up a ChipIn account for donations, and I’m encouraging people to also call the vet directly and offer payment by phone (Animal Fur 1st, 404.627.7879), and I’m accepting donations, as well. So far, we've (my girlfriend and I) raised $400 of the estimated $1500 it will cost. I'm begging you to contribute ANYTHING you can, and to forward this info to as many people as possible. If you know a wealthy dog and/or human lover, you can give me their info and I will do the begging for you.A couple days later, I received this.
I just talked with the vet, and Rot Rot had surgery last night and is "doing well," and Johnny comes to visit him, and Johnny is "so upset, but so grateful."Then, this weekend, I had my niece and Grant in the car. We saw Johnny on the side of the road. He was panhandling as usual. I told Grant and Aurie the wonderful story of his dog.. who must still be in the hospital. He was not out beside him as usual. I told Daniel later on. He started to sing Mr. Bojangles. We all know a version of the song. My favorite is Nina Simone's version. I had given it to my friend Mike about 3 years ago who loves animals. He fell in love with the Nina Simone's version too. (Mike has since passed away - something that weighs heavy on me daily).
Thank you from the bottom of my heart, LCA
We ended the day thinking of wonderful people and Nina Simone's Mr. Bojangles.
From Wikipedia,
Walker has said he was inspired to write the song after an encounter with a street performer in a New Orleans jail and does not refer to the famous stage and movie personality Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. Walker said while in jail for public intoxication in 1965, he met a homeless white man who called himself "Mr. Bojangles" to conceal his true identity from the police. He had been arrested as part of a police sweep of indigent people that was carried out following a high-profile murder. The two men and others in the cell chatted about all manner of things, but when Mr. Bojangles told a story about his dog, the mood in the room turned heavy. Someone else in the cell asked for something to lighten the mood, and Mr. Bojangles obliged with a tap dance.
1 comment:
Kool Story and i love the song. glad there are still good people on this earth. thanks for sharing
Post a Comment