Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cough Medicine and Lessons Learned


This morning Grant walked in our room with an empty bottle of cough medicine. He proceeded to tell me that he had a cough and needed medicine. I knew that there wasn't much in the bottle to begin with but I didn't know what was a fatal dose. Daniel confirmed with GA Poison Control that Grant did not have a fatal dose but we would have a rough day regardless. That was an understatement. Grant first started falling down and making no sense at all. He became flush and his eyes were very droopy. After a while, some of the symptoms did not seem so bad. My sister was able to laugh at him.... if I wasn't so scared or unsure I could have laughed also. She knew he would be ok. This was my first big scare with him. I was totally scared to death and just knew that it was worse than it really was especially after Poison Control told us that he would be ok. When I said it was a rough day... Grant seemed to have a very silly day. He mentioned that he liked "happy milk" when I gave him a milkshake. Happy milk??? Is that drug terminology? Did he become a drug addict already?
Lessons learned... Never turn your back... even if he is a laid back child that seems to stay out of trouble for the most part. I would have thought that he would have fallen down our huge stairs and that is what I have to worry about with him. As far as I know, he hasn't had a bad fall on our stairs.
All I can say is that has been a very hard day on me even when I knew he would be ok. I still worried. My back is in knots and I am exhausted and it is only 9:00 pm. I know that I will be getting up a lot tonight to check up on him.

No comments: