Tuesday, April 08, 2008

What Can You Do for a Woman on Bed Rest in the Hospital?

You know what is tougher than bed rest at home? Bed rest in the hospital is pure hell. Of course you can do all the things that I suggested earlier with a bed rest woman at home but I also have other suggestions for women in the hospital.
  1. Make her environment more like home. Decorate her room - make it less institutionalized. The best decorations are ones that can be thrown away. That way she doesn't have to haul everything back home with her. If you have children, get them to color and/or make wall decorations. Tape her cards to her wall. Make picture borders for her ultrasound pictures. Take cheap fabric and hang them around the window. Bring her a lamp - much better than florescent all day.
  2. Visit her! A woman on bed rest in the hospital is very lonely!! See if she would like to see your children. See if her hospital will allow you to bring her pet in to see her. Mine did! My dog Vienna came to see me when I was on bed rest. It really lifted my spirits!
  3. Offer to watch her pets or her children so that her husband can visit. Daniel was torn between our house and me. He had to let the dogs out to use the bathroom and spend some time with them.
  4. See if you can borrow a wheelchair and walk the bed rest woman around the hospital. I would have loved this and I know some the girls on my hall were doing this. I wasn't given this permission but others are!
  5. Have a movie collection? Let her borrow some movies. Most hospitals have DVD players for pregnant women on bed rest.
  6. Bring food. Ever had hospital food? Imagine eating it for weeks. I was losing weight in the hospital. I wonder why??
  7. Don't forget comfort... a nice blanket, bed room slippers, tempur-pedic mattress topper, etc.. etc..
  8. Last but not least, look at her walls.... If she has a clock on one of the walls, please take it off! There is no reason to remind her how slow time is passing! I don't care if is glued to the wall, rip it off!

No comments: