Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Why I Walk

  • I walk for my Aunt Cindy who spent 10 weeks on bed rest in '89 and for my cousin Laurel who was born healthy at 36 weeks.
  • I walk for my niece Shelby whose time with us is measured in days and for my sister Kay and bil Jay who had to bury their first child for congential heart disease.
  • I walk for my sister Rachael who spent quite some time on bedrest while pregnant with her first child Reese and even more time on bedrest while pregnant with her second child Luke. Also, I walk for her and my bil Eddie had to leave Luke in the hospital when they came home after his birth.
  • I walk for Reese who was born at 36 weeks very healthy.
  • I walk for Luke who was born at 33 weeks and had to spend about 2 weeks in NICU and wear a heart monitor for several months afterwards.
  • I walk for myself who had to spend 10 weeks on bedrest.
  • I walk for my friend Shelly who had to spend some time on bedrest for high blood pressure and also for her son Cole who was born at 36 weeks with some time in NICU.
  • I walk for a friend (J) who after spending several hospital weeks on bedrest, delivered her twins at 26 weeks gestation. J and her husband has had a long haul. Her twins are doing well considering they were born at 26 weeks.
  • I walk for another friend (R) who just recently lost her twins at 16 weeks gestation. .
  • I walk for other people who has never been directly affected by premature births or birth defects. But they are affected indirectly when insurance picks up the bill.

Premature births are on the rise and affects everyone! Please consider making a tax deductible donation to sponsor me in the March for Babies walk this Saturday. http://www.marchforbabies.org/hkuemmerle

$10 goes a long way!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so lucky to have lots of people who are/have been pulling for us and our kiddos. We walk, er March, for many little angels and kiddos who have touched our hearts since our kids were born. We also walk to help teach. Pregnancy leads women to read and research about diapering, feeding, equipment, morning sickness, cravings, and sleep deprivation... but how many read about the signs and symptoms of premature labor, bed rest, and preterm birth?

Knowledge is power, and the March of Dimes really is making a difference saving babies lives...

Thank you for remembering us!

Reba said...

Heather, thank you so much for mentioning me and Abernathy and Malachi in your post. I feel so grateful and honored that we are part of your reasons for walking. I plan to walk next year (I used to when I was younger) and several of my friends have already donated to the March of Dimes in memory of the twins. Thank you so much, you have no idea what it means to me.