Last week, I picked up Miles from school. He told me all kinds of things like he usually does. What stuck out as the most important was that he had a girlfriend. "Her name Jesse." And then we moved on to other topics as we traveled to Grant's school.
As soon as Grant was in the car with us, I told Grant, "Miles has a girlfriend."
Miles said, "No, I not!"
Grant said, "Miles, do you kissssss your girlfriend?"
Miles said, "I not a girlfriend!"
Grant said, "You kiss your girlfriend! Haha!"
I said, "You don't have to kiss your girlfriend. I had a boyfriend I didn't kiss."
Grant said, "You did? Really?"
I said, "I was in second grade and his name was Scott Hendley and I never kissed him!" (I thought he looked like Scott Baio but 7 years old. We even bought each other Christmas presents but I digress.)
Grant said, "How did you know he was your boyfriend?"
I had to think about that one. How did I know he was my boyfriend?
Then, it hit me. "Of course, he sent me a note and asked if would go with him?"
Grant said, "Where did you go? Did you go on a date?"
I said, "NO, we didn't go anywhere. Going with someone meant he was my boyfriend.'
Grant thought a little about this. "Well, I wonder why he broke up with you?"
Does he have so little faith in me? He sure seemed positive that Scott broke up with me. I thought about it a few minutes. Wait...wait...wait!
"You know Grant, I don't think we ever broke up!"
Grant looked very upset now. "You are still going with him?"
I said, "No we are not going together now. We probably never broke up!"
Then, Grant said very quietly, "I think you should find him and break up."
I had a visual image of me showing up on Scott Hendley's door step. His wife and kids answering the door. "Umm, You don't know me and I am sure Scott doesn't know me but we have to break up. We have been going together for 31 years now and it is time I break up with him!"

No comments:
Post a Comment