Sunday, March 10, 2013

Love Will Guide Us

A couple weeks ago, I heard Grant singing real loud a song I have never heard him sing.  I went upstairs and by this point, Grant was in the shower.  On his CD player, there was this church/spiritual type song playing. 


So I ask him, “Grant where did you get this CD?”
I have it to practice since we are going to sing it”
“Did you get it in after school?”
“No”
“Did you get it in Community Music Program?”
“No. Ms. Williams gave it to me.”
“When did she give it to you?”  (He has Ms. Williams for chorus and for music class in school – chorus practice is 730 Friday mornings and this is the first time I have heard him play it)
“She gave it to me in class today.”
“Did she give all the kids a CD?”
“Why do you keep torturing me with questions? No, she only gave it to me because I have a solo.”
“What? A solo for your class?”
“No. A solo for chorus.  She was supposed to give it to me weeks ago so I can practice”
“For what?”
“I don’t know.  Our chorus is singing this and I am singing the solo.  Mommy, solo means I will be the only one singing the verse.”
“I know what solo means.  When are singing this?”
“I don’t know when we have to sing this.  Hey, maybe it will be on an Off Friday in Morning Meeting so you can come and see it!”
“Grant, please find out tomorrow when you are singing this. I want to come regardless what day”
“Quit making this a big deal”

If you know my family at all, you would know this is typical conversation I have with Grant or Daniel.  Miles, on the other hand, tells me everything.

I found out that he was going to sing this in morning meeting this past Monday by going up to school and talking to Ms. Williams myself.  I find Grant to be OK in singing so I was surprised that she picked him to sing a solo.  I talked to Daniel about it.  He was surprised that Grant was picked also. My son is a goof ball so he sings to us off-key and with a very southern accent.  But then we heard him practicing.  He sounded great. Wow, when did he learn to sing like this??? Ms. Williams and CMC music school were doing a great job! 

Here it is.. It sounds best on speakers or on headphones.  It does not sound well on a cellphone.  He was nervous so he got a little quiet. 


Please ignore the shaky video.  I was crying.  All my life, I wished I could stand up in front of a small group and talk.  My boy stood up in front of 300+ and sang. He was not perfect and he was nervous.  He was AWESOME though.  He did not forget his words.  This was his first solo.

I talked to his best friend's mother yesterday and I asked her if Tyler told her that Grant sang a solo.  She told me he did and he said "Grant has a beautiful voice."  I told Grant.  I think this meant more to him then all the praise he has received in the past week on his singing.  His best friend liked his singing and that matters a lot to him. 

2 comments:

Dottie said...

OMG this is so awesome. He has his dad talent and is so brave. i look forward to more of his singing. i love this he is so grown up. i wish i had been there for this.

Heather said...

He's amazing...absolutely amazing.