Friday, May 10, 2013

The "Other" Tab

A couple months ago, a friend and previous roommate posted on her Facebook page, "Please forgive me if I have not replied to a private message from you. I did not realize FB had an "Other" Message tab."

Well, I didn't think much about it until later that day.  I was sitting on the computer wasting time.  I only wanted to waste about 10 minutes or so and then go to bed.  My husband was working a deadline as usual and I was zoning out after getting the kids to bed. I decided to look for this "other" tab.

I had a few messages in my other tab.  But one really stuck out. It was dated back from December 12, 2011   from a PKC (withholding name for privacy).  The name sounded familiar.  Later, I find out he asked previously asked that to be "friends" with me on Fb.  I didn't know him so I deleted the request. 

The message was as follows:

   Dear Heather,Please have Dan or Charles friend me! I would like to talk to them about Fred there father.He is also my father! I spoke to there aunts Chrissy and Carol several years ago when Carol came up to Jersey. My Mother Ruthie and Fred were a couple before he moved south and started a new life. Carol and Chrissy gave me photo albums and a family tree that I would like to return back to carol.I just need an address to send it to. Sincerely PC

Well, this message was very odd but totally believable knowing the stories about Daniel's father.  So I did a crazy thing and called my husband who was working on a deadline.  I didn't make any sense.  "You have a brother. Other message on FB."  Finally, I decided to just read what my friend posted and I read the message from the "other" tab.

He replied, "Whoa."

He came home shortly after.  How does one work after this news?  He spent the next two weeks on the phone to various people.  Instead of explaining all this to you, I will just that Daniel and his brother by the same mother handled the news well.  It looks like we have more family (and a new baby - yay!).  Plans to get together are in the works. 

What a small world we live in!

1 comment:

Dottie said...

you know when we spoke about this i told you Daniel is so open minded he would take this as good news. i hope all the family welcomes he as i know DANIEL will