Sunday, July 12, 2009

Living in a Gold Mine!

Most people would not think that our house is a gold mine but the city of Atlanta is sure it is. Every year, we have watched our tax assessments go up (sometimes 20%-30% per year). In 2007, we said enough. That year alone, our tax assessment went up $100 K.

All I can say is %% %%###@ (put in your own expletives here)! There is no way my house was worth what the city said it was then and it isn't worth what they say it is now.

So in 2007, we appealed and we won. We got $90K taken off our assessment and we got locked in for 3 years. So we went away satisfied and happy.

Well, with the economy being what has been lately... I have felt cheated that our tax assessment was frozen. I thought maybe we could appeal and get lower tax assessment.

Apparently I was wrong. According to the city of Atlanta, we still live in a gold mine. Not only did they break the frozen cpi contract, they broke it during a recession and added $40K on to our house appraisal this year. Yeah, right! They are out of their mind! I wonder if they think we are secretly remodeling each room in the house and adding in high end fixtures. Or did one of their agents see me huge and pregnant and decide they could stick it to us since we have hardly any time to fight the battle. Ok, enough, of the conspiracy theory crap. They are still wrong. As much as I love my house, I would jump out tomorrow if I could get what the city says I could get!

Well, the fight is on. This week, we are going to try and refinance the house. Before, we thought we would get the house ready before we got an appraisal. But now, we want as low as an appraisal as possible. So then, we can take it to the city and rub their faces in it (not really)! So we refinance for the remainder of the mortgage and take a refi appraisal and fight our case. How am I getting ready for this? I am not. Like I said, I want a low number. So we are not going to clean or fix anything. The sad thing about this..is that we wanted to paint the exterior this year. Until we have met with the city, that will have to be put on hold. I want our house to look horrible!

No comments: