Sunday, January 13, 2013

Jack Rabbits

This week has been a totally awesome week.  Yes, going back to work sucked and I was sick (still am).  It didn't matter. I was totally focused on making memories for my boys. I am working on a vacation.  We are going to places I have never been, places Daniel has never been, and of course, places the boys have never been. In one week, we are just a click away from making reservations. On Monday, I had NO idea what we would do this year for vacation  and now, I have a vague idea.  I will share when I know more about it.

A whole file cabinet of plans already! You have to love your OCD coworker when he makes work so easy for you!

I am been waking at 3-4 AM every morning because I am sick. When I wake up, my mind starts racing.  I think of all the possibilities of this vacation.  Then, the ghost of the past occupy my thoughts.  This vacation is going to be similar to the two vacations that my family went on when I was kid. Gosh, I still see it and hear it and feel it and taste it.  HA!

My Dad drove us across the country to see our cousins in Texas.  I remember it so well. We had a station wagon full of girls - Me, Leah, Rachael, and Karen.  The seat belt laws were not so strict back then. Two girls would sleep in the back with the seats down.  I remember the back of the station being uncomfortably hot in the summer. The other two sat in the back seat.  Sometimes, one child was sprawled out on the bench seat and another child created a pallet to lounge behind the front seat.

I can still taste the grape lollipop. Yes, a grape lollipop. I was asleep and my wonderful sisters decided to play a prank on me.  I remembering dreaming of grape kool-aid.  I remember being thirsty -so very thirsty.  Grape kool-aid would taste so good...yum.  I woke up to sisters laughing and a grape lollipop held up to my lips.  Apparently, I was smacking and tasting it while I was sleeping.

I remember my stepmother, Becky bringing up every capital we drove through.  "Girls, look we are in Atlanta! It is the capital of Georgia!"  Little did we know that two of those sisters would live there when they grew up!

But what I remember most were the jack rabbits.  Yep, jack rabbits.  After two days of driving, we arrived to our destination in Texas. I remember it being a pretty day with dark skies off in the distance and the wind was blowing.  My aunt Sue was waiting for us at some kind of entrance.  This part is a little fuzzy.  Was it the entrance to the base where my Uncle Gary worked?  I do remember there were jack rabbits everywhere.  All of sudden, off went Leah across the grassy field after a jack rabbit. Rachael wasn't far behind her!  Of course, Karen and I looked at them like they were crazy. Leah asked, "Can I keep a rabbit if I get one?"  I don't remember the answer but I am pretty sure my parents said, "yes".    Both girls ran their little legs off trying to catch a rabbit - they were going to catch one no matter what.  After about 10 minutes, it was obvious those girls would NEVER catch a jack rabbit. I am sure my parents knew this beforehand. Those rabbits are FAST!

I swear every time I think about our vacation, I can't get these jack rabbits out of my head.  On our vacation, will my boys chase the wildlife?  I have a feeling Miles will try to catch him a jack rabbit and Grant will be standing on the sidelines looking at him like he is crazy.  Do you hear little girls giggling? I do.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wonderful family memories Heather. Wonderful. You are going to be creating wonderful, new memories for your boys with this trip. I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to hear all about it! Love, Heather