You know it is our job as parents to torture our children. If we don't, then we must be doing something wrong. Grant eats almost anything. Yeah, he will fuss but in the end it there is a reward, I can convince him to eat anything. He especially falls for the idea that I don't want him to grow up so please don't eat "etc".Well, his two least favorite things are beans and mashed potatoes. But he can put them away. As a kid, I had a huge gag reflex. There is no way I would eat peppers off the grill or sushi or cooked fish for that matter. But Grant eats everything. He fusses about a lot stuff but will eat them anyway for a reward. He never gags. I, on the otherhand, remember the days when my parents tortured me and would not let me leave the table until I ate so much slaw or potato salad, etc. I remember gagging when I did eat them and yeah, sometimes even vommiting.
A couple nights ago, I made beets. Grant looked at them and was like "no way". Even as a baby, he did not like them but he didn't remember that he tried them before so I told him he probably will like them (a little fib). So I am the master at decieving my child that something is really cool. So I told him in sort of a whisper, "Grant, I am going to eat a lot beets because if I eat a lot it will turn my pee-pee red and that is cool." He looked at me like I lost my mind. He says, "Are you kidding me?" Me - "Nope" Him whispering back to me now, "I am going to eat a whole bunch so I can pee red in the potty."
Now, he looks at me and takes the biggest beet on his plate and proceeds to put it in his mouth. I so wish I had a picture of the look he gave when he tried this beet. Now remember, he is trying to do whatever he takes to turn his pee-pee red. So he is chewing very slowly and his mouth is so full.
Me- "Grant, you don't like beets do you?"
He just shakes his head no - while still chewing.. I think I see his eyes watering.
Me- "Ok, be sure to get some milk and maybe you can swallow what you have in your mouth."
He drinks a big swallow and now his mouth looks so full and you see him trying to swallow. Then, he gags and vomits all of it in to his beloved pizza (and there was only enough for what he had on the plate).
Me- "I am proud of you for trying it and everytime we have it, you will have to try a small piece but you won't have to eat it."
Grant- "It is ok that I don't like beets and can't turn my peepee red?"
Me- "Yes but if you keep trying it you might one day like it!"
2 comments:
Hey that wasn't me i didn't make you eat anything but i should have.just not mayonaise
Wow - he is a determined little man. Maybe Caroine can eat his beets when they are married. She loves them and i've never seen her pee turn red, but thought she had blood in her poop before!
Post a Comment