Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Mad Scientist

Here it is. The Mad Scientist Birthday Party.

We surprised Grant with a Mad Scientist Birthday Party on February 27th. Becca H. came up with the idea and I found tons of stuff on the Internet.

The Vrazels waiting to yell surprise!

The rest of the kids climbed under the table


The Outfit.
I bought cheap paper lab jackets from the Internet. I didn't get the best price but I bet EBay. I should have consulted my sister, the nurse on that.. she probably could have gotten me a great deal. The nerd glasses – I bought them from Oriental Trading Company for a very good price. They were on sale.

Dr. Cole, Dr. Matthew, and Dr. Aiden

Introducing the man of the hour – Dr. Grant

The Decorations.

 

We purchased most of the decorations from the dollar store. I bought a bunch of the grow animals and put them in jars of colored water. The jars were given to us by Mikey. Thanks Mikey for the jars!

I also added animals and bugs around the lab. I got them from the dollar store. Daniel plotted the posters from work and he painted them with fluorescent paint. We had one black light but we got the other one from Spencers. I borrowed the static ball from Mikey. Thanks again Mikey! We added black light bulbs to the ceiling fan. We started on decorating the lab in advance and we just kept the door locked.


In the dining room, we put up latex gloves with a ribbon and more cheap Birthday celebration decorations from the dollar store. I covered my table with painters contractor paper and let the kids draw or color on the table. I purchased a science book for the guest to sign.


We also had dry ice to give the eerie effect.


The Food.
We served eyeball cake - there are many directions online on how to make that. Daniel did a great job on ours. With the cake we had Gore Cream - Raspberry Sherbet with Strawberry topping.

We also had bugs on a log - celery sticks with raisins and cream cheese or peanut butter.
We chips and blood and guts salsa. We also had caterpillar ooze (guacamole).
We also had monkey hearts and brains - cauliflower and strawberries. And to compliment that we added pulverized grey matter - humus.

And then we added worm salad.... which is pasta salad made from alfa sprouts and fettuccine. It actually didn't turn out that well and for our time (2:00), we really didn't need it.


The Experiments.

We had two experiments. Daniel made slime with the kids in the lab and Becca taught the kids about magnets. The slime recipe is easy and you can find it on the internet. I bought the the magnets from the Oriental Trading Company. They were very cheap and could break easily. While I do think the magnet experiment is a fun one, I think with the age group we had, making slime was enough. The magnet experiment was my idea - not Becca's.

Dr. Caroline is learning about Magnets while Dr. Cole is checking out her progress!

Dr. Kai is making Slime – Yuck!!

Dr. Matthew is not real sure about slime on his hands!

The Friends.

Really, it is all about having friends over for your birthday. Thanks for coming to Grant’s birthday and making it a memorable experience.

And finally The Help.

Thank you…. thank you…. thank you…..

Becca, thank you so much for your help and your ideas. Thanks for taking pictures and for taking care of Miles. I really do appreciate how much you did for this. And in the regular Becca fashion, while you were leaving, you thanked Daniel and I for helping you out. WHAT??? Helping you give my child a Birthday party! I KNOW I don’t deserve such a good friend.

Shelly, Thanks so much for taking all the wonderful photos and videos. And for helping me with last minute decorations. I didn’t even have to think about capturing the moment thanks to you!

Terri, Thank you for taking care of Miles. It was awesome that I didn’t have to leave Grant’s party to feed the baby and put him to bed! We appreciate it!

1 comment:

Kristi Keable said...

Best party for a 5 year old I've ever been to and fitting! You guys did great. Glad we got to be a part of it!