Monday, March 01, 2010

I heard it on NPR

Ya know this girl loves her some bluegrass. While coming home late tonight, I was able to listen to Fresh Air on NPR. I always hear something interesting on this show. Well tonight, they did not disappoint me.

Cornbread and Butterbeans was the song! So why is this different than all other bluegrass groups?

-Well it isn't that this is an all black bluegrass group.
-It is not that a black man is playing the spoons and jug.
-It is not that a black woman is playing the banjo.
-It is not that the whole group is in their late 20's and early 30's.

It is actually that it is all of these. I have never seen anything like it. Kristi, I don't know you still read but if they come to ATL, want to go and watch? I would love it! Can you imagine this group at Sims BBQ? I can just see the old ladies getting up with their clogging shoes. Awesome!!!! Now, I am happy that I stayed late at work and got to listen to this group on the way home. This group definitely needs to show up at the next LEAF.

Added Comments 3/03 For those who don't know, the banjo probably orginated in Africa. Bluegrass has roots in African and Celtic music. You learn something new everyday. And this group has played at LEAF in Spring 2007. We go in the Fall.

1 comment:

Kristi Keable said...

Hey - I'm behind on your blog - yep, this girl loves me some bluegrass too! Could totally see them at SIMS - have you guys been to Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell? We should go sometime. Check them out online - I think you would enjoy it. We have only been for food, but I'd like to go for music too. We went the night Charlie was born! http://theswallowatthehollow.com/