Last weekend, I went to pick up Grant from his religion class. One of his teachers saw me outside the room. She came out and said, “ I have the most wonderful news to share with you. Grant was humming while doing his project today and then he started mumbling words. I asked him if he would sing the song to me. He did. I asked him to sing it to the class. He stood up proudly and sang it (my Grant – in front of everyone else – how can that be a child of mine?). “
She then went on to tell me that she wrote the words down. She said, “He wrote an Advent Song, he even wrote the lyrics. It is beautiful.” Well I don’t know about beautiful but it was pretty good for a 5 year old if I do say so myself.
I went in to his classroom to get him. His other two teachers swarmed in on me. “Grant wrote a beautiful Advent Song and sang it to our class. Here are the words. We are so glad he shared.” At this point, I was getting embarrassed. I don’t handle praise well and I guess I don’t handle it well when it is doled out on my child either. I wanted to run! What do I say? what do I say? I know I mumbled a couple thanks and good job Grant…
I wasn’t shocked. I heard him “practicing” something all morning.
On the way home, I asked him about it. He said, “Mommy, I had to work on the song first. I had to use music notes to come up with the tune. I made up the words to it after that.” Cool. He is going to be a songwriter like Dad.
The Advent Song
King O'Lord
King O'Lord
Come down here
Jesus is here to help us
Why how big, so you are the Messiah that helps us.
1 comment:
WOW!! He is! I love this story :-)
Post a Comment