Friday, December 17, 2010

Working Mother’s Guilt

Today, I went to pick up Grant from his last day of school before Christmas holidays. I was going through all his stuff and his teacher comes up to me.

She says, “You are here early.” I panicked. And I look around the room to try and gain my bearings. Did I get here too early? School is not over? She sees the panic and says “I meant you usually don’t pick up Grant from school, he usually goes to after school.”

I was freaking mortified. I wasn’t even sure about the time my son gets out of school. What kind of mother am I?

I happened to read this blog entry today: Stay at home mom or not?

I know how the woman feels. She feels left out. I get that. I also feel like my child is not picked to go to other kids’ homes for play dates. It is a code and I feel left out.

I go to the park…. and there are so many there that know each other. If I happen to be off work and at the playground on a weekday, I just might meet someone…Someone who my kid can play with their kid. We end up talking and then talking about the kids. And then as I walk away, she might say “I’ll see you next Tuesday (like I come here every Tuesday).” I reply, “I have to work but if you want to get together on a weekend that would good.” Some women say things like yeah maybe. Other say things like “well, we are pretty busy on weekends with my husband being home.”

I know. Weekends are busy. I of all people know that! I can’t get away much either. But I do want my child to have a playmate and be invited to a sleepover. I do want to be included on the ladies’ night out to get away from it all. I want to be around other women. I don’t get that at my work. I am around men all day long. It just isn’t the same as female companionship.

I also want to be around my kids more. They are growing up before I can blink. Some days I don’t even see Miles. Those miserable days that I work later. Work/balance is tough.

Now, I know there are some benefits to be a working mother.

  • Routine…having a routine allows me to eat well and exercise… hard to do that as Stay At Home Mother.
  • Sick days… even when I am at work sick… it is easier being sick at work than taking care of a child while being sick.
  • Paycheck.. I make my own money that goes in my own account. It feels great to be financially independent.
  • Cleaning… I can afford to have my house cleaned by someone else while I am at work (all rooms are cleaned at once).

Yes, there are benefits to working.. I get that.. But for me, there are more benefits being at home. (60-40)

  • I have already done it with two 3 months maternity leave – I loved it.
  • Participating in our community events. I never get to do that now.
  • Helping Grant with homework (when that comes).
  • Eating a real meal before 7… We can only do that if I cook a bunch on the weekend and eat it all week long.
  • I could get to know my kids’ teachers.
  • I could go to playgroups and play dates.
  • I could stay up past 9 with a Stay at Home Mother’s schedule and even sleep in until 6:30..
  • I could stop having migraines due to stress.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am one very lucky woman. I have the world. I am not living in poverty. I have a great husband and kids. I have great friends. I have a great job who has taken care of me when I was sick. The guys at my work have been good to me. I just would rather be at home.

I want to stop and smell the roses.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you Heather! That was a great article. I have been confused for a stay at home Mom before. I was at baseball practice with the kids. I am friendly with most of the stay at home Moms and jump in conversations when I can. Gosh, I learn so much from them. Well, you know, they know everything. Another working Mom took notice I guess and confused me for one of them. Then, one day, I said something about rushing from work and she looked at me and said, "You work?" She was a nurse I believe. She looked at me like she was about to give me a hug when I said yes. This is when I realized how important it was to lean on our own kind, but part of me wanted to be in that other group as well. So...I walked back and forth all season. I really liked both groups so much. So, where do I belong? I guess I am still trying to figure that out...every single day. But this week...yeah, I pretty much want to quit for sure...and I think you know that :-).

Reba said...

heather, i can so relate to this post. i really wish i could quit my job and stay home with naomi. but we struggle financially even with hubby and me both working. the best we can manage is that i only work 4 days a week. so i get one extra day off with naomi every week, and i treasure it.

my sister is a stay at home mom so i really hear how that side is too. i think what she does sounds like more work than what i do. plus i think there are benefits to naomi being in daycare, despite my intial resistance to it. (socially, developmentally, etc.)

i hope you make the right decision for you.