Monday, December 13, 2010

You are not even the last one

Back in November, I convinced Grant to run a race with me. We did the Lockheed Martin’s Fighter 5K.

But we did the one miler. I didn’t think Grant could do 3.12 miles so we stuck to the fun run.

His shirt was huge on him… Heck it was huge on me!! We both had on a small. Guess my size is not representative of the people I work with.

So we start out the run… First, he asked could he hold my hand. “This isn’t the kind of thing you do holding hands sweetie.”

Then, he jabbered on and on…………………….the entire race, he never shut up.

“I am really faster than you and Becca.”

Lets pass those people up there! I am faster than they are too.”

I am really good at running…..see?”

“Where does that go?” ( pointing to one path as we went down a different path on my work’s fitness trail)

Where are all the airplanes?”

There are the airplanes. You didn’t know they were there, did you?” (Nope, I run past this every day and never notice them…duh!)

As we round up on top of the hill, he said “Look at all those air conditioning units on top of your work's buildings! You sure do have a lot of them!”

I don’t know how he was able to run with all that talking! He did. He only stopped once and for a fast walk. I am proud of him. He made it in 14:39. He is only 5 and he has short legs!

DSC_0096

Run Grant Run!

And we have the happy finishers with their ribbons!

photo2

After our race, we stayed to watch my friend Mike run his race. Grant goes about 1/8th of a mile in to the race to run with Mike. Mike crosses the finish line and Grant, my smart alec says “Hey Mike, at least you were not the last one! There are other people coming after you!”

I was shocked..what do I say and not make that any less worse to the runners coming in after Mike. So just to make sure Mike heard him, Grant screams “Mike you are not even the last one!”

(Yeah…I was one embarrassed mom and proud! That was my kid!)

4 comments:

Becca said...

I think that's my biggest fear...running and being the last one! LOL. Grant did a great job and I am proud of him. And yes, he really IS fast!! :-D

Heather said...

My favorite picture of the two of you :-). Way to go Grant! And oh, that's funny too!

Molly said...

That is great! I want to do one with Joseph next year, I think he will really like it.

Totus Tuus said...

I am jealous. I don't think any of mine would do this. They are all like their dad. They don't understand why people run if they are not on a field or court. GO Grant and Heather that is such a great relationship you two are building.