Sunday, March 30, 2008

March for Babies



It is March of Dimes Campaign time again. This year instead of calling it Walk America, it is called more appropriately “March for Babies”. I plan on walking in the Marietta Walk which is Georgia’s largest walk. Rachael (my sister) and I both walked last year and had a great time! It is a very comfortable walk and is great for sight seeing. We were planning to start a new team along with my sister Kay but I just couldn’t get my act together and come up with a name.

Since 1981, there has been a 30% increase in pre-term births. Some of these pre-term births can be attributed to advanced maternal age. However, there is a large percentage in premature births among healthy younger women. So far, no explanation has been found. Today, one in six pregnant women will spend some time on bed rest during their pregnancy. One in eight pregnant women will have a ‘preemie’ (a baby born before 37 weeks). Some will be so small that they will fit in one’s hand. In 2003, March of Dimes launched a multi-year, $75 million campaign to prevent premature birth and raise awareness of its serious consequences.

After spending 10 weeks on bed rest, I promised myself that I would do what I can to ensure that others will have the ending I had, a healthy full term baby. A year and a half ago, my sister Rachael gave birth to a preemie. For the most part, Luke is a healthy little boy. We can thank March of Dimes for their research in premature births that he got the treatment that he needed. But…….I would love for MOD to figure out what is going wrong with pregnancies today. I would love to see that more women are enjoying their pregnancies instead of being locked up inside and missing life. I had a long bed rest but there are others including my sister who had it much worse than me.

Please consider sponsoring me in March of Dimes “March for Babies” by making a tax deductible donation. You can find out more on the following website: Heather's March for Babies

No comments: