Friday, March 21, 2008

Mother Nature

I just wanted to let everyone know that our house is A-OK! For those who don't know, last week we had a tornado come through downtown Atlanta. I happened to be out with my friend Dawn in Midtown. I was talking to Dawn and eating and I was facing the window. My mouth just dropped. It was a nice evening when we went in to the restaurant. I saw rain and hail flying sideways and the wind blew very hard. So I told Dawn we would have to wait it out before we left because it was raining bad! Her dad calls us because he had heard that there was a tornado in Atlanta. No big deal, must be out in the suburbs. Tornadoes never hit in town.

On the way home that night, I noticed that traffic going North in the connector was stopped. Hmm, must be flooding, I thought! I go home and go to bed and none the wiser. The next day, we were checking out the news online and saw that they thought there was a tornado downtown last night. That expanded to CabbageTown Lofts. These Lofts are at the beginning of Cabbage Town right at the edge of our neighborhood. Then, we took off for the day. We noticed as we were leaving that Oakland Cemetery had trees down, the lofts were in real bad shape (Grant calls the lofts his castle - weird), and the connector northbound had huge sign down - that is why the cars were stopped the night before.

While we were at Monkey Joes, we watched the weather reports. It was going to be another bad day and apparently the storms were going to follow the same path as the previous nights. Yikes! The one on the previous night came 7 blocks away from our house! So anyway, the weather seemed kind of calm to us. We went home and all took a nap. We were woken up to a huge thunderstorm, huge hail, and very bad wind. I jump up and try to check online to see if we should take cover. The wind was getting so bad that I said forget it and told Daniel to get up and lets get downstairs immediately. I grabbed Grant asleep and went to weather the storm out in our closet below the stairs. The storm came and went but another tornado struck about a mile away.

Anyway, our house only had some down branches. Atlanta had no casualties. It is really eerie to see skyscrapers with no windows. And our traffic is now pure hell in town! So many roads closed including Boulevard which is a major road in my neighborhood.

No comments: