It has been a long time since I have written about my infertility. I am now seeing an RE (reproductive endrocrinlogist). I have lots of tests done and it looks like for the most part, I am pretty normal. I have normal cycles, I have great ovulation, I have all the right hormones at the right time. There is only one thing that flags my RE. When I was with the OB, I had an HSG done. The OB told me that my HSG looked normal. My RE said that wasn't so. One fallopian tube looks totally non-functional. With the HSG, dye is passed through the cervix and then is checked to see that it makes it through the tubes and in to the adominal cavity. Well, dye eventually made it through the other tube but not before it went through the wall of my uterus. Her thought is that nothing would travel through either my tubes if it is the path of most resistance. Therefore, no pregnancy. So she gave me a couple of choices:
1. Use Clomid and monitor my cycle - I have done clomid and ended up with an ovarian cysts the size of a baseball...she said they can give me another drug to keep that from happening along with the clomid. But she also says that if I do get pregnant, I have a high chance of tubal pregnancy - which is life-threatening to me and baby..
2. Have Laproscopic surgery so that she can see really if I do have a tubal problem like the HSG shows. This will also allow her to remove lesions off my tubes if that is the problem and to remove any endometriosis from the rest of my abdominal cavity. She also discussed removing the one tube if it is non-fixable. Why remove it, I ask? She says that if the tube is full of mucus and non-functional that it can be causing build-up of mucus in my uterus and that can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.
So we decided to go with 2. Oh and this is the only thing my insurance will pay for. That definietly makes me want to do 2. I would hate to go down path 1 and then find out that we should go down path 2 because path 1 did not work.
So tomorrow, I will be admitted in to the hospital for the outpatient procedure. I am pretty scared of this whole thing. 1. I am scared of anethesia. 2. I am scared that she will find something while I am out and have to ask Daniel what to do. 3. I am scared of starving... My last meal will be at lunch today and I go under at 10:30 am tomorrow. If you know me, I am always starving especially in the morning. It was what woke me up at 6:00 am this morning! 4. I am scared of being tired and bored. She asked me to take off 2 weeks! 5. Last but not least, I am scared that she finds nothing and I went through this for nothing.
The thing is with all this, I know I am broken. I don't care what the hormone tests show. No one normal has 10-12 day heavy periods with bleeding throughout their cycle. Rachael - you don't count as normal! I really do think if we can fix the bleeding then, we would fix my problem. But neither my OB nor my RE seems concerned about the bleeding.
No comments:
Post a Comment