Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sweet Caroline

Yesterday was Caroline's last day of school with Grant. She will be moving to her new school on Monday. Grant is still very sad. He didn't talk about yesterday but he did talk about it on Tuesday when I picked him up.

Me: Did you have a good day at school? (we were leaving the playground)
Grant: Caroline is going to go to her new house and she won't go to my school anymore. (3 year olds are great for changing subjects)
Me: I know sweetie. I am sorry.
Grant: Whhhyyy??? Her not like it here? I miss her!

I look on the playground and note that I didn't see Caroline.

Me: Did Caroline not come to school today?
Grant: Caroline come school today but I miss her already. (I decide then and there and I skipping town when Grant goes through his first break-up in about 12 years from now! I won't be able to handle it!)
Me: Do you want to go and see Caroline at her new house?
Grant: Can I stay with her?
Me: Sure, you can spend the night with her.
Grant: I can go to school with her.
Me: No, you can only go and stay once and a while on a weekend.
Grant: Whhhyyy???
Me: Grant, you have to stay with Mommy and Daddy and you can visit Caroline sometimes..

By this time, we are getting in the car.

Grant: I miss her mommy (and then he starts crying)

Ms. Rita, the lady who commutes with me to work, hears the last bit. She doesn't like to see him sad and works on him to get him in a better mood. She is pretty good at it and it works.

But like I said, he wasn't sad at all yesterday. He didn't even mention it. I wonder what the next couple weeks bring us.

We will miss you Caroline!! Please come and stay with us so we can see you!!!




No comments: