Repairing Plaster is no fun... I first said that I would not repair any cracks because I didn't see why when we were planning on putting drywall on top of the plaster at some later date when we could afford it. Well, once I started priming the wall, pieces of plaster would fall off leaving larger cracks.... Hmm....well, I decided to repair the cracks with joint compound and latex sealant. The correct thing would be to treat the cracks as joint as you would have in between drywall sheets..... but remember, this is all temporary (temp for us can be years). I didn't want to go through the trouble. So, I cleaned the walls (with TSP) and then I covered the cracks with joint compound. Then, wait... You can not sand the walls until it is dry and you can not paint/prime until it is dry... I know that by me not really treating the cracks properly will most likely have cracks reoccur. OH WELL! I just wanted to be able to paint the walls without doing all the prep work in the first place.

Ya gotta love 100 year old walls!

Oh, finally primer!! Yay... now I see progress but wait...no one told me that plaster walls sucks up primer/paint like it is thirsty! One wall took two gallons of primer. See, painting is not a cheap... I hate when people tell me that. I have already spent over $100 and I have only gotten two walls primed!

Pictures of the other wall.... this wall is the largest... so more work on cracks... I haven't even started on it yet.
And, here we have Bob the Builder letting me know what I am doing wrong! Thanks Grant, I think your daddy needs help now!
Ok, the million dollar question! What paint color should I paint this??? I have dark furniture. The room doesn't get a lot of light. Grant wants me to paint it red or blue. I am thinking yellow or orange. What do you think?
2 comments:
My votes are light blue, yellow, or orange. I think dark colors will make the room look smaller, especially since the furniture is all dark.
I totally agree with you on prepping the walls! In our dining room we only fixed the biggest cracks and the light color (pale blue) hides them well. In our bathroom, we decided not to fix any cracks and just let them be "by design" and it really looks fine (the bathroom is peach-colored). Our reasoning for the bathroom is the same as yours...it's "temporary" until we gut the bathroom which could be years for us too.
orange could be interesting, but i LOVED our old yellow room in the GP house - the one that used to be Caroline's up front. It was the happiest color! So I vote yellow.
Post a Comment