I hate to bring up my faults but here it is... I am Facebook Illiterate, really. I just don't understand it...
Now, I am not putting you down for doing Facebook... I just don't understand.. I am signed up.. I get emails from Facebook saying somebody wants to be a friend. I have also gotten game requests. I get where someone has written on my wall. I don't get it.. Ok, the friend request I get, I know that I can click yes to accepting a friend and woohoo! I have a new friend - or an old one depending on how you look at it. The game requests - I don't get. How does it work? Does it schedule a time or do I play a move and the next time you log in, you play a move? The wall thing, I am totally lost! I see that people have written on my wall. Now, do I write on their wall back? How do answer a wall question? See, I told you, I am Facebook illiterate. Do I buy a Facebook for Dummies? I really just have no clue...
Ok, and status?? I totally don't get it. When I open up Facebook, it ask for status- what am I doing right now.... Duh, I am writing on Facebook - playing on the computer...I can multi-task but I am not that good where I am doing something really cool and am logged in to Facebook... Maybe the question should not be "what are doing right now?"
Feel free to enlighten me! Help me become Facebook literate.
4 comments:
I couldn't agree more. I have an account also...just because someone told me they were going to start using this medium to share pictures instead of email...so I reluctantly decided to join. And I'm so pathetic...I only have two friends...Well really one friend and my sister. It's really quite sad considering other people have hundreds of friends. I just don't get it and honestly, I really don't care. That's probably more the problem.
Oh, I also don't text. I never have. I wouldn't even know how. That make me feel really out of the loop.
My cellphone is usually not charged!
We started using facebook a few months ago, I must admit, when I first started I was clueless... We wanted to use it to help market our business to people that we knew, and hope that they would do some marketing to people they know, etc... Anyway, its slowly taken over our world in small ways. Jon actually updated his status with comments about my labor that night. It was sort of amazing, suddenly his phone started ringing off the hook... dozens of people who knew that I was having severe contractions 5 minutes or less apart wanting to know more... I never thought we would come to depend so much on the tool, but it is sort of remarkable.
I usually use the status to communicate what I am thinking more than what I am actually doing... or what I am about to do. I like to post notes, right now mostly about the babies... resembles my blog actually. The games are usually turn based, scramble is the only one I play, its like boggle... so I get so much time to find all the words I can, then the person I am playing "with" gets a message that it is their turn. They can play whenever they feel like it. When all the turns are played, you get a message about who won... and so on. I don't do a lot of applications, mini games and stuff, but some I really like. Visual bookshelf, for example, is a virtual bookshelf that catalogs what I have read, am reading, and want to read. I can also read and write reviews, which I sometimes enjoy too.
The wall... the wall is more or less a "chat room". People post messages like this comment, you can reply back by posting on your own wall, or you can click where it says "wall to wall". This takes you directly to their wall so you can post a reply to the comment that they left you. I like this one because it shows you the "conversation".
I don't use my phone to post, but my hubby is in love with his I Pod Touch, and uses that pretty frequently... I use the old fashioned computer... haha... you can search for friends by using email addresses, and other search criteria. I just find the whole culture interesting, but I have my degree in anthropology, so I should find it fascinating.
Ok...I have spent way too much time trying to figure it out! I hope I don't get addicted... I am too busy!
Post a Comment