Last week, I gave Grant my front flower bed. I usually plant annuals in this bed. They haven't done well in the past two years because the drought. Since we have had a lot of rain, I told Grant that he could plant what he want. We went to Lowes and he decided he did not want flowers, he wanted a Food Garden. So I let him pick out the plants. He settled on two cherry tomatoes (because I didn't want to stake better boys), okra, and squash. He also picked up peppers for his Daddy and some herbs. Now our little front planter is going to be over crowded with these plants. There is no way that these plants will all thrive in the front garden but at least he will learn. I really wanted him to pick out some flowers. Veggies do not look that pretty especially in front of the house. But Grant was pretty adamant about a food garden. Once we got home and he planted everything, his Dad hooked up the sprinkler for his veggies. I thought about it, and with the drought the past couple years, we haven't been able to use the sprinkler system but Grant will be able to use it regardless. "Food Gardens" are exempt from the water ban. So he probably made a good choice! He will be able to water with the sprinkler all summer long. If he planted flowers and the drought persisted, he would be toting grey water to the bed. Go Grant!
Sunday, May 03, 2009
Grant's Food Garden
Last week, I gave Grant my front flower bed. I usually plant annuals in this bed. They haven't done well in the past two years because the drought. Since we have had a lot of rain, I told Grant that he could plant what he want. We went to Lowes and he decided he did not want flowers, he wanted a Food Garden. So I let him pick out the plants. He settled on two cherry tomatoes (because I didn't want to stake better boys), okra, and squash. He also picked up peppers for his Daddy and some herbs. Now our little front planter is going to be over crowded with these plants. There is no way that these plants will all thrive in the front garden but at least he will learn. I really wanted him to pick out some flowers. Veggies do not look that pretty especially in front of the house. But Grant was pretty adamant about a food garden. Once we got home and he planted everything, his Dad hooked up the sprinkler for his veggies. I thought about it, and with the drought the past couple years, we haven't been able to use the sprinkler system but Grant will be able to use it regardless. "Food Gardens" are exempt from the water ban. So he probably made a good choice! He will be able to water with the sprinkler all summer long. If he planted flowers and the drought persisted, he would be toting grey water to the bed. Go Grant!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment