Sunday, February 08, 2009

Changes...

I have lived in my current house the longest I have every lived anywhere. I will probably die here. I don't like changes... Growing up each year in itself was a change...My sister and I would leave from one parent's house to stay with another. And we moved a lot. Some people love changes. They thrive on excitement. I love my life to be the same. I am creature of habit. It also comes with the territory of being an engineer. Most engineers I work with, enjoy the same boring life that I love. We don't need parties or crowds. We enjoy just an even keeled life.

Changes are coming. This week, Daniel had his pay cut slashed by 10%, benefits were also dropped. Really, no big deal. But he feels that he has about 3 months left at his job. We are going to hit by the recession. To be honest with you, I thought about the recession and I was told it was going to be bad...but I really didn't think about. Even with Daniel telling me that he may be laid off, I just was like "whatever", I still have my job.. I am the breadwinner anyway. But, I then went to work the next day, and our boss showed our head count on the projector. We are going from 17 people to 5 with in the year. We both can't lose our jobs! It was very scary. My department started getting scared... most of these guys have never done anything else. I have been doing my job for 10 years now. I know that I could gotten more pay by moving around but I don't like changes. I have even interviewed and been offered higher paid jobs working on some pretty cool projects - crew exploration vehicle (replaces the space shuttle).. F-22 change and review... but there again, I am happy doing the same thing for the rest of my life. I even fight promotions!

But with talking to a co-worker, he asked me what is my biggest fear with getting laid off...really, it just a change of lifestyle. This guy laughed and said "you?" You go without compared to so many people.. you don't even care if you have a TV, a cellphone, or flashy car. Diego was right, I could care less about that stuff... I haven't even spent money on installing curtains or blinds- since we got new windows - we have paper curtains. I spent $40 total for Grant's Christmas this year. Daniel and I haven't bought presents for each other in years. I don't need to go out to lunch or eat nice dinners in a restaurant. I prefer bringing in my own lunch. I prefer not dealing with crowds at popular restaurants. I don't like fast food so we don't need to spend money in dining industry. I plan on driving my very cheap civic until it dies...

Diego wanted to know what do I mean by lifestyle change.... My life - to me - is perfect. I have everything.... I can give to all the charitable things that I want to which in turn makes me feel very good about myself. I have only a house debt... I never pay for a car more than 2.5 years. We love to go to the park, go hiking, go kayaking.... all very cheap things. I sleep very well at night with the idea that I never have to worry about money. I remember my parents and other parents arguing about money while growing up. I couldn't imagine asking Daniel, why did he spend so and so? I don't want to argue on who spends what. I loved my life just the way it is. I love the idea that I can provide my child with the freshest vegetables and fruits and that are pesticide free. I don't want to buy canned veggies.... I even made all of Grant's baby food. I want to give my child the best - not the best toys or clothes (I could care less about that) but the best food and plenty outdoor exercise to make him healthy. If we work in more time-consuming jobs, we may not get to visit the outdoors as much. Really, I want everything to stay exactly like it is....perfect.

But changes are coming... I will adapt..... I even went grocery shopping in ALDI yesterday... I can cut my grocery bill in half if I buy things that aren't organic. That in itself will be a huge savings. Hmm.. wish I had enough land to plant my own garden.. If Daniel does lose his job, he better watch out. I might send him to the community garden to start our own plot. Yum... I can taste the fresh veggies already.

1 comment:

Reba said...

It is so scary to realize that the bad economy actually will affect us all :(
My company recently laid off 1/3 of its employees, and the remainder of us took a pay cut. It's hard but we can still get by, just less savings/going out to dinner/etc. I don't think I will have my job the whole year either. I'm just trying to go one day at a time and not think about it yet.