Then, I saw Miles' daycare. Whew! Some Street Preacher sings out to me that I was running for Jesus. Hmm... that wasn't my plan... but ok. Wonder what my Jewish friends were going to think of that.
One more hill and downhill I could be free. The race would be over with. Gosh, it was hot as hades. My knee wasn't acting up on me, thank God! I just knew it would.. I tripped early on the dinosaur eggs in the road. Ugh!
Also, early on, I got a swig of water and then threw it at the trash can.. I missed and hit a woman runner head on. Oops... I weakly try to yell "sorry." My heart rate gets up way too high during these races.. I am just so excited...and impressed that I am actually doing it. I hit 160 even before I ran 1/8th of mile. I even have chill bumps. It was hot as hades.. I have chill bumps. Emotionally, I am thinking... look at me.. I am running. The music, the people on the street clapping for me... it gives me chills. Weird. I am sure it doesn't help my heart rate at all.
At the end of the last hill, I know that we just have to run over the bridge. I see the Olympic Rings.. that is where it all started. Must be where it will end. I pick up my stride. I am passing runners. I can sprint in. And then it happens, as I round up beside a strange guy, he says something breathlessly. "Huh" I say back. "We are going to hit the finish line at the same time", he says. "Sure" I say. We would push each other to our limits. We can do that. Boy, was I wrong. He starts lagging. "Come on" I yell. We can go faster than this. "The finish line is right there." He just didn't have it in him. I slowed a bit for him to catch up. "Run faster", I say. I couldn't pass him, I would have felt too bad. He picked me to help with his pace. I finished strong, he finished strong.. but I did not finish with my all out sprint that I like to do at the end. I guess it is OK. I just really would have liked to hit my limit (at least at the end - not on the long hill). I will never see that guy again.
No comments:
Post a Comment