Torture techniques. It has made headlines this year a lot so I have thought about it a lot. I think about the mothers who have had to deal with problem pregnancies and I think to myself - that is real torture. This pregnancy was scary a bit in the beginning for me but with my doctor (who is great!), it is a great pregnancy. She helped me see that if I just take it easy now and then, I will not be subject to torture. Being pregnant with Grant was easy too until I was put in the hospital, given anti-contraction medicine (which makes you want to move and get up and do something), and given a catheter (this lasted only the first two days) and was told stay very still. Torture. Add in the idiot u/s tech who mentioned Grant had characteristics of down syndrome, and another tech (the one who wheeled me to my appointments) tell me that I would never leave the hospital until the baby was delivered. Torture. Also, add in the fact, I knew nothing about contractions, effacement, funneling, dilation. I had only been around people who had very normal pregnancies, people who worked out during the whole pregnancy, people who did not feel a braxton hicks contraction until 3-4 weeks before delivery. Yes, my sister had issues but she didn't live near me. She didn't really explain everything that was going on with her to me or I forgot what she said.
So I have decided if the US needs to come up with a torture technique that will be allowed - why not try some of the techniques applied to high risk pregnant women.
-Put them in bed on their left side and not let them move
-Add the every growing belly so they are truly uncomfortable
-Add brethine so their heart races and makes them want to get up and do things - but they can't
-Don't forget to add fear/anxiety that they have done something to mess up their pregnancy or that they will have a premature baby
-Put them in the hospital so they don't sleep at all or the food is so bad that they don't eat
-If that is not enough, add in evil people who say stupid things like "you are so lucky you get to lie around" or "I was born to have kids" (as if you were not)
-Be sure to add people who are truly living life - they are going to concerts, out to eat, parks etc.. and they talk about it all the time
-Add in young children at home who doesn't understand why mommy is in the hospital or why mommy doesn't get up
-Add financial problems for people who don't have full coverage disability and who must work to make ends meet.
-Add copays and/or deductibles that have to be met from all the medical treatment
-And if that is not enough "torture", give that person a "mag wash".... Shoot their veins up with a drug that will bring even the strong to their knees
A lot of these tortures, I have no experience in.... I can only imagine. I now know a few people who have been through these type of tortures.
As someone who is getting to enjoy her third trimester, I see how much so many women miss out. They miss out on the attention that is given to you - "the god bless your child", the opening doors, and the stranger kids who want to feel your belly. They miss out on comfort. Pregnancy is not comfortable but for the bed rest woman on drugs, it is pure hell. I feel a hundred times better this time around than I did with my first pregnancy. They miss out on living life and spending quality time with their families. They live with the fear that today might be the day the baby comes (not that magical due date when the baby should come).
So really if we are allowed to torture our own women this way.... why not employ those techniques to get a terrorist to tell his secrets.
No comments:
Post a Comment